Monday, May 12, 2008

Philippine Television Show Marketing Woes

A short background on the thing I do for a living:
I handle the marketing department (the entire department consists of just one person, and that is... hmm, just me) of a technology/lifestyle/automotive show on one of the most-watched (surely in the top 4) television channels in the Philippines.

I really hate it when those people you send proposals to just ignore you and treat you like a f-ing beggar. (Hey dude, is it that hard to send an email reply that you received my proposal and you are not interested with it?)
Also, when you call them, their tone of voice seems like you've killed their cute puppy or something.
I'm not a credit card or real estate sales agent that you can just shoo-off, I'm part of the media too you know. (I've nothing against credit card or real estate agents. I'm just using them to stress the "ahente stereotype".)

Sometimes when we need to feature a particular tech product or gear, we borrow a test unit for us to use and review for a week or two. Some companies lend us the product with no effort on our part. (*Kudos to Nokia and Asus for treating us right.) But some require us to submit a proposal, call this, call that, WTF? If you guys don't realize, we're giving you FREE, yes, FREE advertising with absolutely no cost to you! So why would you want us to suffer?

When these people have a press conference and they need us to be there, we gladly cover the event for them. But when time comes that we're the ones needing their support, they just ignore us? What the heck?

I just hope that these people get to their senses. I'm sorry for the rant. Just finding a way to vent it out.

No comments: